Employees "Choose" to Lose?

My company is in the process of launching an “Employee Choose to Lose” program. What is it about work sponsored weight loss programs that bother me? In theory..they make sense. We spend upwards of 40 hours a week in the workplace. They pay for our healthcare (if we’re lucky). But something about the idea of a work sponsored weight loss program really makes me cringe. At my last job they had a Biggest Loser competition. Some people really got into it. I avoided it like it was the plague. It seemed like those of us who needed it the most were the ones that didn’t participate.

I walk around the office and see so many women who are largely overweight like myself and think that it’s really too bad we can’t all get together and form some sort of support group. Maybe a chubby girls’ walking club? :) But, then I pull back because weight and work don’t mix. They’re like liquor and beer. At least for me! I notice that the women who have lesser amounts to lose, maybe 5-30 pounds very openly discuss their weightloss efforts with each other. Men often openly discuss theirs as well. But us very overweight girls keep quiet. Why? Is it the fear of looking like a failure at work? I think that might be part of it. I mean, work is all about impressing and I know from experience that when it comes to weightloss I’ve been known to strike out many more times than hitting a grand slam (or even a double).

I know for me that another big part of it is fear. I actually have a fear that someday my employer will be able to treat me differently because of my weight. I already see my employer treating the smokers in our office as sub-par employees. I think the overweight employees are next. I fully anticipate that one day soon I’m going to be forced to pay more for my healthcare due to my “obese” rating on the BMI scale. I guess I’m afraid that if I sign up for their program I might be opening myself up for that “special” treatment.

I think the final reason is that I think of my weight as a “private” problem. Which is kind of funny…because it’s the most easily identifiable vice out there. My co-worker may be an alcoholic, drug addict, sex addict, or in extreme debt…but I would never know it. However, all my co-worker has to do is look at me to know that I have a weight problem. I don’t think the alcoholics at work (I know they are around) would want to attend an alcoholics support group at work. Who wants everyone knowing that they are an alcoholic? And even though my weight problem is visible to the naked eye, I think the same thoughts that would motivate an alcoholic to avoid treatment programs at work are the thoughts that motivate me to avoid employer sponsored weight loss programs.

Would love to hear others thoughts on this. Have you ever joined an employer led weight loss program? Were you glad you did it? Do you find yourself avoiding them as well?

5 comments:

Char said...

I just had to comment on this, because my work holds a "Wellness Fair" every year, and this year our insurance was based on physcial fitness tests based on BMI measurements, a bike test, weight, caliper tests and if your a smoker or not.

The thing that bothered me the most was that it is not private. If they held this where a million people weren't looking at you, then I think more would participate.

Also I should mention my company will pay you to have the tests that I mentioned and if you come in under the "national number" you get the money. I think it worked out to $35 per month. But I didn't make the BMI, or the cholesterol or the smoking tests so I lost $15 of my $35 dollars. So how fair is that? I find myself having to do it because of the insurance reasons but I would never ask that people put themselves on display like that. I guess more data will be needed to see if this "works" or not. So I guess it makes me kind of angry to see this in the work place on something that should be a private decision for that person. Thanks for listening...

Renke said...

Oh man Char...that is EXACTLY what I'm dreading. Public weigh-ins and 'punishment' for being fat. I'm good at what I do..very good...but because of my weight I'm a liability for the company. I get their motivation but like you...I'm not sure if it will "work".

Debbie said...

This is a very good post - very thought-provoking. My company doesn't do anything like this, but they DO provide $350/year to each employee for fitness (gym memberships, bootcamps, etc.). I think that's a better way to go... that way, no one is embarrassed and weight can be a private thing (as private as it CAN be, that is).

Unknown said...

I agree with what Debbie says- offering money towards fitness so you can choose to privately work on this without everyone knowing what is going on. On the other hand there is def. something to be said about accountability. I don't think I would want to add that stress to my work though.

Michelle said...

Just today I got a slew of emails regarding our work walking contest, asking who was "in" and who was "out." Oy. It's not that I don't want to walk. I just don't want to walk and try to keep pace with my colleagues and have everyone know how many steps I did. It's teams of 4 and groups turn in their score cards to win prizes. Personally, I'd rather do my wellness time at home.

I'm a big fan of worksite wellness programs - I think there is serious bang for the buck for employers in offering these - not just in terms of health care savings, but by having a more productive workforce. There's a ton of studies out there with data linking overall wellness to workforce engagement.

That said, I hate competitions. I think the same, that most employers will begin targeting larger folks by hiking insurance premiums. As big of a fan of worksite wellness programs that I am, I think it should be an opt-in and without penalty.

Post a Comment